Facility Managers and the Benefits of CMMS
The days of managing facilities using a spreadsheet, paper and pencil are becoming a thing of the past. We are living in a fast-paced world, where companies are looking to use modern technology to keep up with competitors, work faster, work smarter, increase efficiency, reduce costs and improve productivity. Facility Managers are a key part of a company’s structure and in contributing to the organization’s bottom line. They have the responsibility for maintaining valuable assets, such as property, plant, and equipment, as well as other buildings that house personnel, products, ancillary machinery, materials inventory, and other important functions of an organization.
Some of the daily tasks of a Facility Manager include managing work orders, scheduling and conducting preventive maintenance, administering parts inventories, tracking equipment, along with other tasks. They manage and coordinate teams, control costs, handle failures, manage aging equipment and facilities, manage multiple sites and various resources, plus more! These tasks and roles are all time-consuming and challenging. A Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) is an automated software solution that helps Facility Managers streamline their maintenance operations by managing work orders, planning and fulfilling maintenance and repairs, tracking assets, monitoring inventory, managing costs, and adhering to various compliance standards.
What can CMMS do for Facility Managers?
A CMMS gives Facility Managers and users the ability to manage assets across multiple sites and access to data in real-time. Accessing a CMMS from a computer or mobile device, a user gets real-time information from anywhere at any time.
A CMMS stores everything in a centralized and secure location, and it helps managers control their assets plus:
• Manage Maintenance Records • Manage All Assets • Store Service Contracts
• Store Historical Data • Track & Manage Upgrades • Store Safety Certifications
• Record Repair History • Manage Equipment Lifecycle • Record Meter Readings
• Schedule Maintenance • Track Asset Location • Fulfill Inspection Requirements
• Manage Equipment Failures • Store Important Documents • Manage Trends
• Manage Downtime • Store Schematics • Calibrate With Teams
Some CMMS solutions integrate Geographic Information System (GIS) technology which can greatly enhance the tracking of assets and work orders.
Prolonging the life of assets, preventing downtime, and lowering maintenance costs are all time-consuming tasks, and yet, they are critical to the business. With a CMMS, processes are automated such as the scheduling of inspections and conducting preventative maintenance which translates to avoiding expensive emergency repairs. Having a proactive maintenance plan in place extends the life of the equipment and lowers the overall operating costs of maintenance functions.
The CMMS work orders feature is the perfect solution for Facility Managers to help them effectively track and manage maintenance and repairs through a user-friendly single interface. CMMS is a centralized database where users can:
• Place Service Requests • Monitor Real-Time Status Updates
• Prioritize and Re-Prioritize Work Orders • Request Approvals
• Automatically Issue Orders to Maintenance Teams • Manage Labor Hours
• Leave Feedback on Work Order Performance • Manage Vendors
• Identify Filters That Route Requests • Use Mobile Access from Anywhere at Anytime
• Manage Multiple Locations • Locate Work Orders and Important Documents
One of the biggest struggles for Facility Managers is the governance of maintenance materials and spare parts. A CMMS provides real-time information and keeps service departments updated on supply shortages that affect daily scheduling. A CMMS tracks the physical location of assets and inventory items throughout all facilities. A CMMS can streamline inventory tasks and help:
• Give Authorized Personnel Instant Access • Provide Vendor Information (Costs, Products, etc.)
• Monitor Materials, Tools, and Parts Stock • Create Purchase Orders
• Identify Materials & Parts per Location • Track Shipped/Received Goods
• More Accurately Track Inventory • Set Inventory Levels
• Reduce Downtime • Inventory Planning, Reporting and Analysis
• Store Historical Information • Store Valuable Documents and Schematics, etc.
Audit & Compliance
Audits, internal protocols, and regulatory standards are all very easy to manage within a CMMS. Keeping up with changing standards and being able to demonstrate compliance at a moment’s notice can be very time-consuming and tedious. A CMMS is an automated, centralized and secured system that helps with the process of tracking standards and updating them at a moment’s notice. A CMMS is a useful tool to help facilities managers become more organized by reducing their dependence on memory and by automating many routine daily activities. A CMMS makes facilities management more efficient and effective by controlling and reducing the cost of audits and compliance which then translates to greater profits.
A CMMS helps maintenance teams stay organized and compliant with outside regulators by:
• Providing Access to Historical Documents • Storing Employee Records and Training
• Recording Data from a Computer or Mobile Device • Providing Accurate Asset Lifespan Information
• Keeping Accurate Work Order Records • Tracking and Monitoring Pre-Audit Activities
• Keeping Production Equipment Safe and Reliable • Generating Reports for Audits and Inspections
• Providing Easy Access to Safety Manuals & Procedures
• Storing critical contractor/vendor insurance data and adding an ability to update certificates electronically • Keeping Audit and PM Tasks Updated in Real-Time
With CMMS Mobile Software, field technicians can use a computer or mobile device to:
• Access Work Orders • Enter Condition Monitoring Readings
• Search All Work Orders • Access Inventory
• View, Open, and Close Work Orders • Enter Spot Buys
• Record Work Status & Completion • Log Notes
• Retrieve Asset Details, Specifications, Schematics, and Work Order History • Track Time and Labor Hours
Want to know more about how CMMS can help you manage your facilities?
CONTACT US FOR A FREE DEMO!
YOUR SUCCESS IS OUR GOAL!